Is my MBE score passing?
Students ask us all the time “is my MBE score passing?” You may wonder if your MBE score is considered passing in your jurisdiction. You could be asking this question (a) once you already have MBE results or (b) if you are taking practice tests and wondering if your MBE score is considered passing. Below, we tell you the answers to both of those questions!
Is my MBE score passing?
Scenario #1: I already have MBE results and am wondering if my MBE score is passing.
If you already have MBE results and you are wondering if your MBE score is considered passing, please check out the following posts:
- MBE Passing score by state: This post tells you what a passing MBE score is considered to be for your state. If you look at your score report and examine your state’s passing score, you will be able to determine if your MBE score is passing. (If you score at or above the MBE passing score, you are passing. If you score below it, you technically did not pass the MBE — though you can still pass the bar exam in most states without passing the MBE!)
- MBE Percentiles for 2018: Here, we tell you your MBE percentiles. (This is based off the February 2018 bar exam.) You can see if you scored a 165, you are in the 98th percentile (meaning you scored higher than 98% of examinees.) If you scored a 110, you are in the 7th percentile (meaning you scored higher than 7% of examinees – so you need to work on your MBE score!)
Scenario #2: I am wondering if my MBE score is considered passing based on practice tests.
If you have not yet taken the MBE and you are wondering if you are on track to pass the MBE, here are a few posts you should check out:
- MBE Passing score by state: This post tells you what a passing MBE score is considered to be for your state. It is useful to know your state’s passing score because you can better calculate the approximate number of “raw” MBE questions you should be answering correctly to pass the MBE. (If you are California, a 144 is passing – which is quite high! If you are in Alabama, you need a 130 to pass. This is a big difference!)
- MBE raw v. scaled score: This gives you the approximate breakdown of a “raw” versus “scaled” MBE score. Unfortunately, the NCBE no longer releases data on MBE raw v. scaled scores, so this is the best resource that we have right now!
If your MBE score is not passing, or if you are worried about your MBE score, check out these (free) posts and resources:
- Best MBE Tips and Tricks from someone who scored a 180 on the MBE: here, we give you excellent MBE tips so you approach the MBE in the right way
- How to improve your MBE score 20-30 points: this post tells you how to maximize your MBE score and improve it by leaps and bounds.
- How to quickly improve your MBE score: if you want to see progress on your MBE score, read this post!
- Most highly tested MBE topics: here, we tell you the most highly tested MBE topics so you can focus on the big-ticket items when you are studying for the MBE
- Where to find REAL MBE questions: Don’t use commercial course questions when real questions are available! Here, we tell you where to find real MBE questions!
Looking for MBE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star MBE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Free popular bar exam guides (an MBE guide, a guide on how to pass the bar exam, and a guide to hiring a bar exam tutor) written by bar exam experts!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand Bar Exam Course
- Our NEW MBE Mastery Class, which covers 35 recently released MBE questions in an engaging and helpful way to help you boost your MBE score!
- MBE private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MBE.
- Real MBE questions —the best practice questions available!
- An MBE guide, which has a guaranteed 7-point score increase.
You can read more about our MBE services here.