How do you do this? Each time you draft an answer to an essay question, make sure to spend a good amount of time studying the model answer and comparing it to your answer. This is especially helpful if you grade your own answer with a different color pen using the model answer as your “key.” If you are on the computer, use a different color font.
Improve Your Bar Exam Essay Score: Ask yourself the following questions when you grade your answer:
- Did I spot the same issues that the model answer focused on or did I miss important issues? How will I make sure to spot all of the relevant issues in the future?
- Did I clearly lay out all of the rules and elements of law? If not, which rules do I need to review? (Don’t worry if you do not cite cases or exact rule numbers in your answer!)
- Did I apply the law to the facts?
- Was I concise in my analysis or did I spend too much time on issues that were not important?
- Did I arrive at the correct conclusion (or an arguably correct conclusion)?
- Overall, was my answer legible and well-organized?
If you are honest about your strengths and weaknesses, you will improve as you keep practicing!
Comparing your essay answers to the model answers has numerous benefits: First, you will naturally become better at issue spotting and stating the highly-tested rules of law in a clear manner.
Second, you will learn to think like an essay grader. You will learn to write in a clear and concise manner. You will naturally write what the graders want to hear because you will have practiced writing your essays with them in mind.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!