The Uniform Bar Exam is becoming more and more popular! We have had many attorneys reach out to us because they want to take the Uniform Bar Exam (or their firms want them to be licensed in a Uniform Bar Exam jurisdiction)! They ask “Should I take the Uniform Bar Exam?” The answer to this question is personal and it depends on a few factors. In this post, we give you a few factors in considering whether you should take the Uniform Bar Exam.
I am a licensed attorney. Should I take the Uniform Bar Exam?
Some attorneys reach out just wondering if it is good, generally, to be licensed in a Uniform Bar Exam state. Here is our general advice.
- If you are not sure where you want to practice, or if you think there is a good chance you might practice in a Uniform Bar Exam state in 2-5 years (or if it is your goal to practice in a UBE jurisdiction), this weighs in favor of taking the Uniform Bar Exam!
- If you just took the bar exam so it is fresh in your mind, and you think there is a good chance you will practice in a Uniform Bar Exam state within 2-5 years, this weighs in favor of taking the Uniform Bar Exam.
- If you have no idea why you want to take the Uniform Bar Exam because you have no specific plans to be in a Uniform Bar Exam state in 2-5 years, this may weigh against taking the Uniform Bar Exam.
Remember, even if you pass the Uniform Bar Exam, you still have to be licensed in the jurisdiction you wish to practice in (meaning you have to complete all other requirements including most likely paying licensing fees which are sometimes hefty annual fees, attending a swearing-in ceremony, passing a state portion of the bar exam, etc.)
And, unfortunately, Uniform Bar Exam scores are not that portable. You have to get licensed (or transfer) your Uniform Bar Exam score within 2-5 years of taking the exam. So, don’t take the Uniform Bar Exam next year wondering if you may move to New York in 10 years. You will have to retake it anyway at that point. Read more here about UBE score portability.
If you decide to take the Uniform Bar Exam and if you are looking for tips on studying for the bar exam as an attorney, see this post!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!