The Uniform Bar Exam is becoming more and more popular! We have had many attorneys reach out to us because they want to take the Uniform Bar Exam (or their firms want them to be licensed in a Uniform Bar Exam jurisdiction)! They ask “Should I take the Uniform Bar Exam?” The answer to this question is personal and it depends on a few factors. In this post, we give you a few factors in considering whether you should take the Uniform Bar Exam.
I am a licensed attorney. Should I take the Uniform Bar Exam?
Some attorneys reach out just wondering if it is good, generally, to be licensed in a Uniform Bar Exam state. Here is our general advice.
- If you are not sure where you want to practice, or if you think there is a good chance you might practice in a Uniform Bar Exam state in 2-5 years (or if it is your goal to practice in a UBE jurisdiction), this weighs in favor of taking the Uniform Bar Exam!
- If you just took the bar exam so it is fresh in your mind, and you think there is a good chance you will practice in a Uniform Bar Exam state within 2-5 years, this weighs in favor of taking the Uniform Bar Exam.
- If you have no idea why you want to take the Uniform Bar Exam because you have no specific plans to be in a Uniform Bar Exam state in 2-5 years, this may weigh against taking the Uniform Bar Exam.
Remember, even if you pass the Uniform Bar Exam, you still have to be licensed in the jurisdiction you wish to practice in (meaning you have to complete all other requirements including most likely paying licensing fees which are sometimes hefty annual fees, attending a swearing-in ceremony, passing a state portion of the bar exam, etc.)
And, unfortunately, Uniform Bar Exam scores are not that portable. You have to get licensed (or transfer) your Uniform Bar Exam score within 2-5 years of taking the exam. So, don’t take the Uniform Bar Exam next year wondering if you may move to New York in 10 years. You will have to retake it anyway at that point. Read more here about UBE score portability.
If you decide to take the Uniform Bar Exam and if you are looking for tips on studying for the bar exam as an attorney, see this post!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Taking the February 2023 bar exam? Check out our most popular products on sale here!
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)