How to Check Bar Exam Results: What to Do and What Not to Do
If you are awaiting bar exam results, you may be wondering how to check your results. Here, we give you some guidance on how to check bar exam results — including what you should and should not do!
Most states post something online — some states post seat numbers and some states post names. Other states simply email results and delay posting names online or don’t post names online at all.
The first thing to do is figure out how you will be notified of results.
- Does your state release the date that results will be released ahead of time or is it a surprise?
- Do you get to find out instantly if you passed or failed (e.g., by looking up your name/seat number online or checking your email?)
If you know exactly when you get results, you can plan out your day a little bit better. If the results release date is not revealed ahead of time, you can still make plans for how you will check bar exam results when they are, in fact, released.
A few questions to ask yourself when determining how to check bar exam results:
- Who (if anyone) do you want to check results with? Do you want to check results alone or do you want to check results with a family member or friend?
- Where do you want to check results?
- When do you want to check results — immediately, or do you want to wait until the evening, the weekend, etc.?
- How do you want to check results — do you want to check online, or wait for something to arrive in the mail?
A few words of advice:
- We generally recommend you do not check your bar exam results at work. If possible, see if your employer will let you go home when bar results are released so you can check in a more comfortable environment.
- We generally recommend that you do not tell others your seat number, if that is how your state releases results. We have heard stories of students whose parents/friends/significant others/coworkers find out their results before they do. This often causes anxiety and stress for the student.
- Make a “Plan A” and a “Plan B” ahead of time so you can figure out what you will do if you pass or if you fail. This will relieve the inevitable stress that comes with checking bar exam results.
Good luck checking bar exam results!
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!