The Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) is worth 30% of your UBE score. In other words, it is worth the same as approximately 105 MBE questions. Let that sink in for a minute! It is too much of your score to ignore! So, since we are trying to tell that you it’s too important to ignore, it’s important to understand how its scored.
According to the NCBE website, “NCBE scores the MBE component of the UBE. Jurisdictions grade the MEE and MPT components. The MEE and MPT scores are scaled to the MBE and UBE total scores are calculated by the NCBE.”
Basically, that means that it is up to the jurisdictions to grade their examinees’ MEEs.
Some states use a six-point grading rubric for the MEEs, while other states use a ten-point grading rubric. What does this mean? If your state uses a six-point scale, you want to aim for at least a score of four on each MEE. However, if your state uses a ten-point scale, you want to aim for at least a seven on each MEE.
How do you get the MEE score that you are aiming for?
We find that the best measuring stick for our students to gauge their practice is to practice past MEEs. The reason for this is because the Analyses set out how much each portion of the response is worth. For instance, the essay might pose two specific questions but those questions actually require discussing four legal issues. Depending on the importance or depth of the issues, a percentage of the total question is allocated to each issue. Read this post if you are wondering where to find past MEE questions and analyses for free. Thus, practicing real MEEs is an excellent way to practice your application of the law and to learn how you would perform on the real exam.
If you are wondering exactly how to practice, or how to format your answer, read these posts on advice for the MEE and how to study for the MEE efficiently. If you are looking for better MEE subject outlines, read how we have the best MEE outlines.
Looking for MEE Help?
Taking the February 2023 bar exam? Check out our most popular products on sale here!
Free or discounted resources
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the highly tested MEE topics, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- A five-star MEE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these!
- NEW MEE Mastery Class, an effective and engaging way to review the highly tested areas of law on the MEE!
- MEE Feedback for those seeking substantive and organizational review of practice questions
- MEE Private Tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MEE
You can read more about our MEE services here.