Five Tips for Uniform Bar Exam Repeat Takers
In this post, we give some tips for Uniform Bar Exam repeat takers. These tips are basic but they are necessary if you want to boost your Uniform Bar Exam score and pass the next bar exam you take!
Five Tips for Uniform Bar Exam Repeat Takers
1. Examine your Uniform Bar Exam score report.
Many students want to crinkle up and throw away their score report as soon as they get it. Some barely examine their score report at all. Don’t make this mistake!
Being a repeat bar exam taker can be a huge advantage. Not only are you not starting from scratch on your bar exam journey, but you also have unique information at your disposal–that is, how you performed on a real bar exam under actual bar exam conditions. Use this to your advantage. Study your Uniform Bar Exam score report to see where you performed well and where you need to improve. (And contact us if you want our help!)
In this post, we tell you how to dissect your Uniform Bar Exam score report!
2. Request your essays and MPTs if possible.
Many jurisdictions (e.g., New York) allow you to request your essay and MPT answers if you failed the Uniform Bar Exam for a small fee. Some jurisdictions (e.g., Washington D.C.) allow you to set up a time to review your answers.
While we don’t know of any student that really looks forward to reviewing the essay answers they wrote on bar exam day, it is important to do so! You can see whether you need to improve on structure, timing, knowledge of the substantive law, etc. Again, your essays and MPTs are a valuable source of information! This can be a great advantage for Uniform Bar Exam repeat takers!
3. Don’t simply repeat your commercial course.
If it didn’t work for you the first time, it probably won’t work for you the next time. Simply repeating the exact same thing that you did last exam will probably not solve their problems. This is the “easy” approach. But if you don’t reflect on what went wrong and change your approach, you probably won’t see much of a score improvement.
So make up your mind that you will not take the “easy” (and probably ineffective) way out. Instead, decide to change your approach.
4. Ask yourself some tough questions.
Reflect on how you prepared. What went wrong? What do you need to spend more time on? What did you do well? Here, we have a list of specific questions you can ask yourself if you failed the Uniform Bar Exam. Whether you go through that list of questions or whether you reflect independently, it is important to truly think about how you prepared so that you know what you need to change for the next exam.
A couple of hours of reflection can make a huge difference.
Many first-time bar exam takers simply complete their bar review course and never seek out extra assistance or think about why they are doing what they are doing. They work hard and check off boxes on their to-do list. The problem is that they are not always studying efficiently or effectively (and this is not necessary through any fault of your own, if this happened to you. It is very hard to figure out what you need to do to pass the bar exam since there is so much you are responsible for when you study for the test!)
5. Invest in a new approach.
Instead of doing the same thing again, invest in a new approach. This might be investing your time in a new approach. Or it might mean investing your money in a new approach. Or it might mean investing both! How drastic you need to change your approach will depend on how much your score needs to improve in order for you to pass. If you are close, you may not need to make monumental changes. If you are quite far from passing, consider a wholly new approach.
We have plenty of Uniform Bar Exam resources including a very highly regarded Uniform Bar Exam full-service course that is tailored toward Uniform Bar Exam repeat takers. Many students pass after using our course! We also list a few other Uniform Bar Exam resources below if you are interested in assistance with specific portions of the exam.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!