If you are taking the MEE (multistate essay exam), it is well worth it to practice past MEE questions and review the sample answers provided by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. MEE practice essays can tell you if you are on track and reveal some of the favorite issues that the examiners like to test. In this post, we tell you why writing answers to MEE practice essays is important and where to find MEE practice essays.
There are a few reasons that it is important to answer MEE practice essays:
- First, the more you practice, the more you will get used to the question format and style.
- Second, you will naturally be able to identify patterns in the types of questions the examiners ask.
- Third, you can evaluate your answer by comparing it to the model answer. (We call it “self grading” your MEE. To read about how to self-grade an MEE, see this post.)
- Fourth, you will be able to identify patterns in the types of questions the examiners like to test. (You can also purchase our MEE one-sheets if you are looking for the highly tested issues in one place).
If you are in a UBE jurisdiction, the MEE (“multistate essay exam”) is 30% of your overall score. That is the equivalent of 105 multiple-choice questions – so you cannot ignore it!
Here are some sources for past MEE Questions and Analyses:
JD Advising Online Store
One great option is to buy them here in our online MEE store. The books are broken down by subject. This can be helpful if you are (a) only looking for a specific subject, or (b) looking for a convenient way to carry them around. You can also choose to purchase a specific subject or all subjects.
We have the option to purchase them electronically or purchase hard copies. We ship highly quality copies via priority mail so you will receive them shortly after ordering.
For each examination, you will have access to the questions and the bar examiners’ analyses. The analyses can help you significantly as they will reveal the issues, the rule statements, and the important facts to allocate. They can also give you a good idea of overall organization, and approximately how many points are allocated to each issue.
The National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) website
You can find MEE questions and analyses from February 2006 through the present date on the NCBE website. Simply go to the “Study Aids” section of the NCBE website. The ones from February 2006 – February 2011 are free. The other exams cost money ($15 or $20 per exam, depending on whether you prefer an electronic or hard copy). These are sold by year whereas ours are sold by subject. So, in most cases, you will save money if you purchase ours because we have more than 6 exam questions per exam and we do not charge significantly more. However, if you prefer the exams broken down by date, head to the NCBE website!
Minnesota Bar Exam website
Minnesota adopted the Uniform Bar Examination (UBE) in February 2014. You can visit the “Minnesota Essay Questions and Good Representative Answers” section of the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners’ website, and you can find past MEE questions (and good student answers). This begins with the February 2014 exam.
Bar Examiners’ analyses are not available for these questions on the Minnesota website. (And no state website will have the NCBE analyses online because that would interfere with the NCBE’s license.) However, you can see one good student answer for each MEE. This is helpful as you can get a gauge of how long your answer should be, and the answers are considered to be “good representative student answers.” As a word of caution, the student answers may not address every issue or fact,. They also do not always state the law correctly. So you really need to get the NCBE-promulgated answers rather than solely relying on the student answers.
Your Bar Review Course
Your bar review course should provide you with past MEE questions and analyses for the recent years as part of the cost of the program. Some courses also invent their own questions — but we find these not to be nearly as helpful as the real ones. So stick to the real essays.
If you are not sure if the essays are “real” or made up by your bar review course, look to see if there are any dates on the essay questions (as this would indicate that those questions were administered that year!).
Looking for MEE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the highly tested MEE topics, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- A five-star MEE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these!
- NEW MEE Mastery Class, an effective and engaging way to review the highly tested areas of law on the MEE!
- MEE Feedback for those seeking substantive and organizational review of practice questions
- MEE Private Tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MEE
You can read more about our MEE services here.