February 2019 Michigan Bar Exam Recap
Congratulations if you just completed the first day of the Michigan bar exam! Below, find our February 2019 Michigan Bar Exam recap, including our thoughts on the exam!
February 2019 Michigan Bar Exam Recap
What showed up on the February 2019 Michigan Bar Exam?
Most of the subjects tested on the February 2019 exam were fairly straightforward. The subjects that are “always” tested did all come up (Contracts, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Real Property, Civil Procedure, Workers Compensation, Domestic Relations). Some of the other subjects that were tested included Torts, Personal Property, Wills, and Corporations. Some of the essays tested very straightforward, predictable issues. For instance, the Personal Property essay tested bailments. The Equity essay tested preliminary injunctions. The Domestic Relations essay tested spousal support. The Wills essay tested validity of a will (among other things).
Were there any surprises or unusual questions?
Some of the questions were more difficult. Many people struggled with the Constitutional Law essay. The Contracts essay was fairly long and involved a complicated fact pattern, as did the Agency essay. The Criminal Law essay was less straightforward than we have seen in past administrations. Some surprises were that both Agency and Corporations were tested. Also, there were no essays on Sales, Secured Transactions, Negotiable Instruments, or Commercial Paper. Less surprisingly, Professional Responsibility was not tested (for the fifth administration in a row).
What was the overall impression of the February 2019 Michigan Bar Exam essay section?
Overall, the exam was fairly long! There was only one question that was less than three-quarters of a page on the entire exam! Both the morning session and the afternoon session each contained two questions longer than one page. Most of the questions were between three-quarters of a page and a full page. It is not uncommon to run out of time when the questions are this long! Remember, it is not normal to feel good about your essays! It IS normal to not know the answers or write about the incorrect issue! We expect to see a fairly generous curve for this exam, given the difficulty of some of the questions! The important thing is not to worry about the essays as you rest and prepare for the MBE on day two!
Want Weekly Tips while Awaiting Bar Exam Results?
We have advice on waiting for bar exam results, checking bar exam results, swearing-in ceremonies, and advice on work and how to be productive while waiting for results. We seek to provide interesting and informative articles and posts. Texts/emails happen once a week on Wednesdays through May 15. On May 15, we will not text or email you anymore unless you request to be added to our regular newsletter. We do not sell or share information with anyone else – we appreciate your willingness to share your contact information with us and we would not abuse that privilege!
Sign up for weekly tips below!
Sign up to receive texts by texting barexam to 555888. (You can opt out any time!)
Sign up to receive emails here (you can opt out any time!):
Looking to Pass the Michigan Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star bar exam course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- A Michigan essay course which teaches students our time-tested approach to Michigan essays
- A Michigan Bar Exam seminar for those looking for an overview of the highly tested areas of the Michigan Bar Exam
- Michigan Bar Exam One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!