Do I Need A Bar Exam Tutor To Pass The Bar?
With all of the preparation that goes into taking the Bar Exam, it might seem silly to consider a tutor. After all, most bar prep companies tout their services as all you need to pass the exam. Simply sign up, follow the program, and you should pass the Bar Exam. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Everyone’s approach to taking the Bar Exam is different because each person has unique needs. Many bar prep companies do not have the ability to address these unique needs in their bar prep offerings.
Do I Need A Bar Exam Tutor To Pass The Bar?
Luckily, there are a number of resources that can supplement a traditional bar prep course. In this article, we’re focusing on Bar Exam tutors. If you feel like your bar prep course isn’t sufficiently helping you, spending $50-$200 per hour to hire a tutor is a great start. Having a tutor to compliment your bar prep course is a great way to customize the process.
In this article, we’ll discus how both first-time takers and repeat-takers can benefit from hiring a bar exam tutor.
First Time Bar Exam Applicants
If this is your first time sitting for the Bar Exam, first of all – congratulations! Sitting for an upcoming administration of the Bar Exam is an accomplishment in and of itself. Wondering whether you need to hire a Bar Exam tutor? Here are some things to consider:
- Pace: If you feel as though your bar prep course is moving too fast, you’re not alone. Bar prep courses are designed to be fast and furious. The goal of any bar prep course is to synthesize three years of law school into a two-month course. Once you get behind in a bar prep course it’s difficult to catch up. A Bar Exam tutor will be able to help bridge any gap created by the pace of your prep course.
- Law School Grades: If you graduated towards the bottom of your class, a Bar Exam tutor is likely a good idea. The same students that you were ranked against in law school are also going to be the ones taking the Bar Exam. That sample size, multiplied by thousands of applicants, is essentially going to make up the population taking the test. A Bar Exam tutor can give you the personalized attention and customized materials you need to stay competitive.
Repeat Bar Exam Applicants
Whether you were mere points away or nowhere near the cut score, hiring a bar exam tutor may be beneficial. Having to retake the Bar Exam isn’t uncommon. In fact, in certain states like California, it’s actually more common, statistically speaking, to have to retake the Bar Exam. Regardless of where you find yourself retaking the Bar Exam, here are some considerations when deliberating whether to hire a tutor.
- Prior Score: The biggest factor when deciding whether you need a tutor is how close you were to passing last time. If you found yourself nowhere near passing the Bar Exam, hiring a tutor will likely be beneficial. A huge gap to reaching the cut score means that something you did previously did not work. It might be that you focused too heavily on one subject or didn’t focus enough on one component of the exam. Whatever the reason, a tutor can help get you back on track by identifying and helping you work through your strengths and weaknesses.
- Life Circumstances: Working full time? Have a family to take care of? These responsibilities can make studying for the bar exam particularly challenging. A Bar Exam tutor can work around your schedule in ways that a traditional bar prep course simply cannot. That’s part of the reason you’re paying them that hourly rate we discussed above. Bar Exam tutors can help to craft exercises, lesson plans, study schedules, and outlines that take into consideration your life circumstances.
- Self-Study: If you’re a repeat taker who has elected to forgo a traditional bar prep course, you’re not alone. Many repeat takers enroll in a traditional prep course as a first-time taker and then study solo on subsequent attempts. In these instances, a Bar Exam tutor may be a good fit. Tutors who specialize in the Bar Exam can help guide applicants studying alone and provide performance feedback on MBE questions and essays. Those studying alone do not have the luxury of submitting work to bar prep courses for evaluation. A Bar Exam tutor can help bridge this gap.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!