It can be helpful to have a bar exam essay template when you begin to write bar exam essays. A good bar exam essay template can help you ensure: (a) that you connect every dot and do not miss a step (that is, you will state the rule, apply it, and conclude); and (b) it can help you approach the bar exam with confidence knowing that you know how to design your essays to get the maximum amount of points.The general format is that for each issue, you want to use a “RAC” format. That is, state the rule, analysis, and conclusion. You can think of this as an “IRAC” format similar to what you may have used in law school. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using the IRAC format because it differs from the format that law school essays follow.
Bar Exam Essay Template:
- Issue #1:
- Issue #2:
A few things to note about this bar exam essay template:
- Issue: Generally, on the bar exam, the issues are clearly stated. Thus, they tend not to be hidden in a fact pattern as they are in a law school essay.
- Rule: State the rule as clearly as possible on your bar exam essay answer. If you know the key legal vocabulary then bold or underline those words to draw attention to them.
- Analysis: The analysis section won’t be as lengthy as it would be in a law school essay answer. Oftentimes, the examiners will expect you to simply apply the law then conclude. However, sometimes (for example on MEE essays), you will gain points if you recognize the majority view and minority view in your analysis section.
- Conclusion: On bar exams, the overall conclusion is important. Bar examiners’ will be looking for you to conclude. Further, generally, there is a “right” conclusion.
One key thing to note is that in bar exam essay answers:
- you should not write a lengthy background of the law. Instead, answer the questions directly and concisely!
- you should not write a lengthy policy analysis for each issue you analyze
- you should not arrive at a wishy-washy conclusion in your answers. Arrive at a clear conclusion.
- you should not argue both sides nearly as extensively as you would on a law school essay answer
Using this bar exam essay template as you approach essays can be a big help. If you have any questions about this, please contact us at your convenience.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!