There is a rumor that goes around every May and October that Michigan bar exam results are always released – (in the past, mailed) – on a Wednesday. Recently, I’ve heard students say that “Michigan bar exam results are always released on a Thursday.”
It is true that Wednesdays and Thursdays are the most common release days (with Wednesday being more common than Thursday). However, the announcement that Michigan bar exam results are out has also been made on Tuesday and Friday in the past as well. If we look at the most recent result release announcements for the July Michigan bar exam, we see the following:
July 2013 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Thursday (10/24/13)
July 2012 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Thursday (10/25/13)
July 2011 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Wednesday (10/12/11)
July 2010 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Wednesday (10/13/10)
July 2009 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Tuesday (10/27/09)
July 2008 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Friday (10/31/08 – Halloween day)
July 2007 Michigan bar exam results were released on a Wednesday (10/31/07 – Halloween day)
As you can see, Wednesdays and Thursdays are the most common release dates. February bar exam takers also regularly find out on Wednesdays that results have been released.
However, because releasing the results on a particular day is not something that is religiously practiced by the Michigan Board of Law Examiners, the July 2014 Michigan bar exam results could easily be released on any day. I would not be surprised if they were released the week of 27th given the grading change and the large amount of students that took the exam (…nor would I be extremely surprised if they were released today or later this week).
On a related note, many people tend to obsessively refresh the Michigan Board of Law Examiner’s website in the morning (nothing wrong with that!). But it is worth it to note that the announcement that results are out/mailed tends to be made in the afternoon – at least based on my experience. I do not have a record of every time the Michigan Board of Law Examiners announced that results were released. However, February 2014 exam results were released by seat number on Wednesday around 4:00 PM. The announcement that the results for the February 2013 exam were out was also made on Wednesday May 15 after 4:00 PM.
I assume that releasing the results in the afternoon reduces the amount of calls the Board of Law Examiners receives from applicants and also probably gives them the chance to triple-check results during the day so they don’t screw up results like Nebraska recently did for July 2014 takers.
For those of you who do not know where, exactly, to look for the announcement that results are released: Simply check the Michigan Board of Law Examiner’s Website. The announcement that results are released is generally posted right under the “BREAKING NEWS” heading…. (On a side note: Anyone else feel like the Board of Law Examiners is being a little bit over-dramatic by classifying the new Request for Testing Accommodations form as “BREAKING NEWS”? Whatever.)
For more on past release dates, see this post, It’s October!! When Will Michigan Bar Exam Results be Released? We also recommend you check out this Note to those who Pass the Bar Exam as well as this Note to those who Fail the Bar Exam. Not that we have any opinion as to whether you will pass or fail, but it is best to have a plan for either.
Good luck to everyone awaiting results!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Bar Exam Outlines: Our comprehensive and condensed bar exam outlines present key information in an organized, easy-to-digest layout.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!