Alternatives to Hiring a Bar Exam Tutor
Some students automatically assume a bar exam tutor is the right option for them. (And it is true that many students truly benefit from tutoring!) However, there are some alternatives to hiring a bar exam tutor that are worth exploring. It is possible that one of the below options might actually be a better fit than a bar exam tutor!
Sometimes a bar exam course is the right fit for you. The benefits of taking a course are:
- you cover the material in-depth (all of it!)
- you learn strategies to conquer the law
- it is cheaper than hiring a tutor
However, a course — even a personalized one like ours, which comes with essay grading, check-ins, and the ability to ask questions before, during, or after class! — does not offer the same level of one-on-one attention as a private personal bar exam tutor. Nonetheless, many students find a bar exam course to be a great alternative to a bar exam tutor, especially if the student needs to cover all of the law from top to bottom!
Bar Exam Essay Feedback
Some students need the accountability and direction that comes from weekly bar exam essay feedback. These are often students who are very close to passing the bar exam. Or those that need the accountability of actually turning in their essays to a private grader each week.
Bar exam essay feedback is significantly cheaper than tutoring. And it does come with personal feedback. However, it does not come with any face-time with a tutor so is a little limited. But if accountability and an essay score boost is what you need, consider enrolling in one-on-one bar exam essay feedback.
Bar Exam Consultation
Some students are just looking for a study schedule and an analysis of what they should do differently to pass. (These students may even be considering private tutoring but just aren’t sure if it is the right fit!) In that case, it is worth it to start with a bar exam consultation rather than a one-on-one tutoring session. The bar exam consultation can provide a birdseye view of what is needed to pass the bar exam, rather than focusing on any particular subject or strategy. Many students have benefitted greatly from undergoing a bar exam consultation.
If you are looking to boost your score but do not need one-on-one attention, a supplement is the way to go!
A supplement, such as real MBE questions can be a great supplement to course-invented questions because they give you the real NCBE-released questions.
Go to the next topic, Topic 8: Bar exam tutoring services by JD Advising.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!