Upon first glance, the February 2018 Michigan bar exam statistics look dismal at 54%. Last February, the bar exam passage rate was only 47% and we believed it was largely due to an unfair exam. This February, the exam was certainly fairer but the pass rate remained low.
Looking at the statistics, we can see that 67% of first-time takers passed with only 39% of repeat-takers passing. This is a pretty standard split as repeat takers and first-time takers tend to pass in those percentages not only in Michigan, but nationwide. What drove down the overall state pass rate is that there were almost as many repeat takers as first-time takers. (There were 183 repeat takers and 209 first-time takers.)
For most schools, the results are not super statistically significant as the pool of examinees is so small. WMU Cooley had a larger pool of examinees so their results mean a little more than, say, the University of Toledo.
The school with the lowest first-time taker passage rate was Michigan State University, which is a big surprise considering they usually have a high passage rate in comparison with other schools. The University of Detroit Mercy did great again this February 2018. Wayne Law had a higher first-time passage rate (70%) but its repeat taker passage rate drove down the overall passage rate, especially considering that there were more repeat takers than first-time takers. The University of Michigan did stellar, as it typically does.
Again, these February 2018 Michigan bar exam statistics are not as salient as July statistics, when there is a bigger pool of applicants. But, they are still interesting and worth reviewing!
Looking to Pass the Michigan Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star bar exam course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- A Michigan essay course which teaches students our time-tested approach to Michigan essays
- A Michigan Bar Exam seminar for those looking for an overview of the highly tested areas of the Michigan Bar Exam
- Michigan Bar Exam One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!